McAllen ISD is proud to offer the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Academy for sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
The application window for the 2021-22 school year is now open and runs through Friday, February 5.
Based at McAllen ISD’s De Leon Middle School, this unique “school-within-a-school” model nurtures students in a small, specialized learning community that is peppered with rigorous, enriching programs and challenging coursework for advanced students.
The Middle Years Academy is designed for students in the first three years of the IB Middle Years Programme.
Other positives of the Middle Years Academy include:
- Rigorous learning objectives
- A student-centered approach to teaching
- International perspectives
- Concern for the whole child
- Sustained teaching and learning in more than one language
- A focus on learning how to learn
- The development of flexible thinking that prepares students to evaluate information critically
- The ability to apply knowledge in complex, unfamiliar situations.
McAllen ISD became the first school district in the Rio Grande Valley to offer the IB Diploma Programme (for grades 11-12) in 2001. The district added the Primary Years Programme (PYP) for grades 1-5 and MYP for grades 6-10 in 2006.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a not-for-profit organization supporting the education of more than 1 million students each year in nearly 5,300 schools in 158 countries.
To fill out an application, families should go to https://mcallenisd.schoolmint.net/welcomeback
or call 956-632-8800.