Texas Border Business
The City of McAllen Public Works Department has opened a newly construction Recycling Center Citizen Drop-Off Facility, with services for both the public at large and those specifically available to McAllen residents. Hours of operation for the facility are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The public at large is welcome to stop by the Recycling Center facility to drop off recyclables such as cardboard, paper, tin, aluminum, glass, and plastics coded #1 and #2. Additional services available to the public are free paper shredding and electronic waste disposal.
Additionally, the Recycling Center is also open to the public for the purchase of crushed glass and all mulch and compost products.
Those services that are only available to McAllen residents include: disposal of bulky waste, tires, metal, brush, used motor oil and pick-up of brown compostable lawn and leaf bags. In order to take advantage of those services, citizens must bring a recent utility bill and an ID.
Recycling and Citizen Drop-Off fun facts:
- Over 3.6 million pounds of debris collected last fiscal year
- Over 1.5 million pounds of recyclables collected last fiscal year
- 67,000 bags of compost and mulch sold last year
- Compost products are 100% made by Public Works employees
- Facility built entirely by Public Works employees
- Built with 75% reused materials