Texas Border Business
EDINBURG – Hidalgo County on Monday launched the Mortgage and Rent Relief Program to assist rural county residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic with short-term mortgage and rental assistance, Hidalgo County Community Service Agency Executive Director Jaime Longoria said on Monday. Qualifying residents will get assistance paying their mortgage or rent for up to two months.
Funding for this assistance program comes directly from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act enacted by Congress earlier this year. Then the Hidalgo County Commissioners Court set aside $7.5 million to fund this program.
“This program was designed to assist families who were affected by COVID-19 post March 13,” said Longoria. Households must make 200% or below the Federal Poverty Level to qualify.”
Applicants will need to provide proof that they have been laid off or are working reduced hours because of COVID-19’s impact on the local economy.
To be eligible:
• You must have been affected by COVID-19 due to loss of wages, job, or illness
• You must be a rural resident of the County, or live in Granjeno or Sullivan City
• You must live below 200% federal poverty line
When applying you must have the following:
• Valid Picture ID for applicant
• Birth Certificate or Valid ID for everyone else in the household
• Proof you were affected by COVID-19, including income, furlough, shelter order, and quarantine information
• Income information for the past 30 days for the entire household
• Your Mortgage or Rent Agreement or receipts of past expenses
• And, you must submit a W-9 from your Mortgage Company or Landlord
Assistance will be paid directly to the landlord or the lender of qualified applicants.
“Since the beginning of this pandemic, we were all concerned with what the economic impact was going to be on families,” said Longoria. “I am proud to say that Commissioners Court has been proactive in assisting the community during these unprecedented times.”
We are accepting applications right now. Apply online at our website: www.hidalgocares.org OR you can apply over the phone at 956-205-7058.