AEP Texas asks residents throughout its Rio Grande Valley service territory to practice conservation measures from August 1 through 14 while a two-mile stretch of 138-kV transmission line is rebuilt. The section of the transmission line was damaged during Hurricane Hanna.
Hurricane Hanna severely damaged a two-mile stretch of a 138-kV transmission line situated in on the west side of McColl Road between University Drive and Monte Cristo Road in Edinburg. Until a new line section is constructed, AEP Texas is working with the Electric Reliability of Texas (ERCOT) to mitigate the situation and continue serving area customers. However, these mitigations still leave the area’s electric grid in a strained situation.
AEP Texas is launching ongoing conservation throughout its service territory in the Rio Grande Valley during the August 1-14 construction of the transmission line segment. By voluntarily taking this action, AEP Texas hopes to reduce the chance that ERCOT will have to order controlled rotating outages in order to protect the electric grid from long-term damage.
Steps to help reduce electricity use:
- Turn thermostat up 2 to 3 degrees during the peak hours of 2 to 8 p.m.
- Set programmable thermostats to higher temperatures when no one is home.
- Use fans to feel 4 to 6 degrees cooler.
- Limit the use of large appliances (i.e., dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc.) to the morning or after 8 p.m.
- If you cook indoors from 2 to 8 p.m., use a microwave or slow cooker.
- Close blinds and drapes during late afternoon.
- Schedule pool pumps to run in the early morning or overnight hours; shut off between 2 and 8 p.m.
If your power does go out, turn off your air conditioner, water heater and large appliances to enable smoother service restoration.
AEP Texas, a unit of American Electric Power, delivers electricity to over a million, businesses and industries in south and west Texas. AEP Texas provides regulated energy delivery service to consumers, regardless of which Retail Electric Provider they choose. The region headquarters is in Corpus Christi.