Texas Border Business
EDINBURG, Texas — Robert Ramírez, the grandson of bilingual education pioneer Emilia Schunior Ramírez, will discuss his grandmother’s book, “Ranch Life in Hidalgo County After 1850,” at 2 p.m. on May 31 as part of the Museum of South Texas History’s Sunday Speaker Series Online.
Robert Ramírez answers questions during the live streaming on Facebook.com/MOSTHistory/live. The presentation also will be recorded and posted for public access on the museum’s Facebook page.
Renowned college Spanish professor Emilia Schunior Ramírez was asked to compile a history of ranch life in Hidalgo County. Her manuscript, though, was never published. In 1971, Alfonso R. Ramírez, the son of Emilia, founded Nuevo Santander Press to publish her manuscript, which includes compelling interviews with Emilia’s parents and relatives who lived on ranches.
More than forty years later Emilia’s grandson, Robert Ramírez, published the second edition of a valued resource for South Texas writers and historians. Robert preserved the character of the first edition by leaving the original manuscript and Alfonso’s introduction unchanged. The second edition features a new appendix by Robert that includes ranch history, news accounts, and biographies of the Ramírez family.
For those interested in purchasing a copy of “Ranch Life in Hidalgo County After 1850,” please email Museum Store Manager Lynne Beeching at [email protected] to arrange payment and pickup or shipping. Robert is happy to autograph and includes a personalized message to all books purchased through the Museum Store.
This program is made possible by the generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was committed to educational causes in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created by her family to honor her memory and to continue providing educational opportunities for the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are Sunday 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube, or call +1-956-383-6911.