Must be 21 years or older to attend. ID will be verified.
Texas Border Business
Are you a wine enthusiast or interested in developing a more comprehensive understanding of wine?
Join us for an evening of wine tasting and learning with UTRGV Continuing Education’s Wine Appreciation Workshop Series. Discover major wine regions throughout the world, enjoy the taste and aroma of a diverse selection of wines and develop an understanding of wine history and culture. Gain confidence when buying wine at the store or when ordering wine in a restaurant with this extraordinary appreciation series!
Learn from a highly experienced Sommelier and go on a tasting and learning adventure. Each workshop will feature different topics and offer the opportunity to sample unique wines. Join us for one evening or the whole series!
UTRGV McAllen Teaching Site March 19th – April 9th, 2020 Thursdays | 6:30 – 8:30 PM
COST Per Workshop: $30/person
Entire Series: $100/person
Note: Wine glasses are not provided. Please arrive with 4 stemmed, tulip-shaped wine glasses.
*For individual workshop enrollment, go to the Individual Module Information below.
Workshop 1: Introduction to Wine and Alcoholic Beverages
- Taste and experience wines from the distinguished wine regions of France; Burgundy and Bordeaux.
- Learn about state laws, healthy drinking, and public awareness.
- Discover the history and culture of wine.
UTRGV McAllen Teaching Site March 19th, 2020 Thursday 6:30 – 8:30 PM To enroll in Workshop 1 click here.
Workshop 2: Understanding Wine Styles and Geography
- Taste and experience wines of Italy, Spain, and Germany.
- Identify different grape variety styles of wine.
- Understand the importance of climate and geography in wine production.
UTRGV McAllen Teaching Site March 26th, 2020 Thursday 6:30 – 8:30 PM To enroll Workshop 2 click here.
Workshop 3: Sensory Evaluation of Wine
• Taste and experience wines of Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, and Australia.
• Learn to recognize wine aromas.
• Identify different wine profiles and flavors.
UTRGV McAllen Teaching Site April 2nd, 2020 Thursday | 6:30 – 8:30 PM To enroll Workshop 3 click here.
Workshop 4: Exploring Wine Components
- Taste and experience wines of the United States.
- Increase your knowledge of wine components through the tasting process.
- Identify sweetness, acidity, and other wine characteristics.
UTRGV McAllen Teaching Site April 2nd, 2020 Thursday | 6:30 – 8:30 PM To enroll Workshop 4 click here.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Sommelier Eva Paschal
Eva Paschal is a Food & Beverage professional with over 20 years of experience. In pursuit of her joy of cooking, Eva took culinary classes with some of the greatest chefs in the industry, such as Jean-Paul Weber, an acclaimed international chef. Eva completed level one Court of Master Sommelier training, then proceeded to study wine at the Culinary Institute of America, with world experts like Karen MacNeal, author of the famed “Wine Bible”, Paul Wagner, wine author, lecturer, and professor, and John Buechsenstein, winemaker and wine educator. Eva enjoys teaching wine appreciation and providing students with a foundation on which they can develop wine confidence through knowledge.