Texas Border Business
McALLEN – The City of McAllen Health and Code Enforcement will begin mosquito spraying efforts early Saturday morning and will continue as weather permits. Spraying typically takes three to four days depending on weather conditions such as rain and wind speeds.
Crews will focus on areas with high mosquito populations, starting at the far north and south ends of the city simultaneously. The crews will work their way to the center of town and should be done in approximately three to four days.
Additionally, the department will use mosquito trapping to identify areas where spraying for adult mosquitos would be most useful.
Residents may also do their part in keeping mosquitos at bay. Useful tips include:
- Empty or remove cans, buckets, old tires, pots and other containers that hold water
- Keep gutters clear of debris and standing water.
- Remove standing water around structures and from flat roofs.
- Change water in pet dishes daily.
- Maintain backyard pools or hot tubs.
- Cover trash containers.
Safe use of insect repellent with DEET and the use of protective clothing during dawn and dusk outdoor activities is recommended.
For mosquito concerns please call 956-681-3111 (8 am to 5 pm) and 956-681-1900 after hours.