Safe use of insect repellent with DEET and the use of protective clothing during dawn and dusk outdoor activities is recommended. For mosquito concerns please call 956-681-3111 (8 am to 5 pm) and 956-681-1900 after hours.
Texas Border Business
McALLEN – The City of McAllen Health and Code Enforcement will begin mosquito spraying efforts early tomorrow morning, Saturday, September 21 and will continue as weather permits. Spraying is dependent on weather conditions such as rain and wind speeds.
Areas to be sprayed:
- The City of McAllen Convention Center- Erie to Ithaca & 29th to Ware Rd.
- STC Campus- Quince to Ivy & 29th St to Ware Rd.
- Nikki Rowe Campus- Warrior Dr/Vine Ave. to Pecan Blvd & Ware Rd. to Bentsen Rd.
- Bentsen Royal Estates Subdivision- Bentsen Rd. to 45th St. & Daffodil to Harvey
- Del Sol Subdivision- Buddy Owens Blvd to Quamasia & 26th Ln to 29th St.
- Hackberry Creek Subdivision- Frontera Rd to Fullerton Ave & 18th Ln to 23rd St.
The Department is controlling mosquito populations in the community by bringing increased focus to eliminating standing water, preventing mosquito larvae from hatching and spraying. McAllen neighborhoods have been surveyed to identify and treat areas of standing water that can serve as prime locations for mosquitoes to lay their eggs. Elimination of standing water is the ultimate goal, but in places where puddles exist, the water can be treated to kill mosquito larvae with a chemical called a larvicide. The Department continues to larvicide locations to eliminate mosquito breeding.
Residents may also do their part in keeping mosquitos at bay. Useful tips include:
- Empty or remove cans, buckets, old tires, pots and other containers that hold water.
- Keep gutters clear of debris and standing water.
- Remove standing water around structures and flat roofs.
- Change water in pet dishes daily.
- Maintain backyard pools or hot tubs.
- Cover trash containers.