Texas Border Business
PHARR, Texas – Over 140 Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD (PSJA ISD) Art students earned Superior medals at the Visual Art Scholastic Event (VASE) held on March 4, 2023. Eight PSJA ISD Art students advanced to the State competition to be held in San Marcos, Texas in April.
The mission of VASE is to recognize exemplary student achievement in the Visual Arts by providing art students a standard of excellence.
The first VASE event was held in 1994 with just over 400 student entries: after 25 years, High School VASE entries number around 35,000. Students create artworks, write about their creative processes and understanding of visual art, and articulate information about their artwork during an interview with a VASE juror, who evaluates their work using a standards-based rubric.
Congratulations to the following students for advancing:
- Kyra Chapa – PSJA Early College High School
- Julian Covarrubias – PSJA North Early College High School
- Clement Steve Leal – PSJA Southwest Early College High School
- Angelina Mata – PSJA Early College High School
- Sara Mendoza – PSJA Early College High School
- Sophia Rodriguez – PSJA Early College High School
- Natalia Torres – PSJA Southwest Early College High School
In addition, PSJA North Early College High School Art student, Jacquelyn Zuniga will have two pieces advancing.
Good luck at State!